1. Roll out 2 sheets of clay in contrasting colors on the #2 (second thickest) setting on your pasta machine. Cut each sheet into a 3" x 3" square.
2. Stack one sheet on top of the other and cut in half.
3. Stack the 2 pieces, cut in half and then stack again. There should be 8 layers.
4. Form the stacked clay into a round log.
5. Roll the log and twist each end several times in opposite directions.
6. If the log becomes too thin, manipulate and roll the log with your hands bringing them closer together so the log is about the same thickness that will fit into your extruder. Trim each of the ends and cut your log in half.
7. Insert one of the halves into your extruder with the small square die.
8. Extrude the entire amount of clay.
9. Trim each of the ends until you get a nice pattern inside.
10. Use these individually as a small cane or cut into sections and stack to create a larger cane.
11. Here I sliced my stacked cane to create a veneer sheet.
12. And here are some fun pieces ready to bake.
Here are a few color variations. If you click on the photo you can read more about them on our blog: