Monday, September 14, 2009

Hi from Carolyn

Hi all!  This blog is a really great way to keep in better touch with all our members.  Thanks Tina for getting things going!

Since Dave and I moved to the interior of B.C. (from the coast), we've had a very full and exciting summer. We were busy with building our deck and yard work with some time out to enjoy the wonderful lakes and parks nearby. The weather was extremely hot the whole summer with over 3 weeks straight of +40 C temperatures and so was impossible to work with any clay during those days. We finally managed to have our air conditioning installed which brought great relief! Besides the heat we were surrounded with 3 major forest fires for over 3 weeks which was a little nerve wracking and difficult to breath with all the smoke.



On the brighter side, I had the opportunity to be in my first juried art show. It is a large one that has been going for 26 years. With so many talented artists in the area I felt it was a real honor to not only have all 4 pieces accepted but to receive an award for one of the entries -- a coffee table I tiled with polymer clay.  You can read about it on our blog by clicking on the photo:



There are 2 members of the clayamies that inspired me to do this table. One person is Nancy who some time ago showed our Vancouver guild how to make stamped mosaic tiles. I loved the concept of mosaic tiling with polymer clay and thought of all sorts of projects to work on with this technique, one of which was an antique coffee table I purchased that was in need of refinishing. Then someone told me about Krista Wells and her book, Polymer Clay Mosaics, which was full of inspiration and ideas. 

Since I was the first and only polymer clay artist to enter this show, I was asked to give a demonstration for one afternoon.  I showed how I made my canes and had quite a crowd of people who were all wide eyed and excited as they had never seen anything like it before.  It was such a good experience, I'm already looking forward to next year. 



I've since been busy with creating a wide range of buttons, beads and jewelry pieces specializing more into animal prints.

No comments: